Wednesday, April 29, 2009

too late

I arrived at 8:20am and there was an elderly black man leaning up against the Centro building wall. My first thought was that he was homeless, just chilling and maybe I should stay in the van until Adelina arrives. I didn't want to be alone with the guy should he want to come into the Centro for shelter from the rain. What an idiot I am! Of course I am going to get out of the car and open the door, say good morning to the man and ask if he's ok. Damn,,,I hate when that happens...that thought of possible dangers! Anyway, I approach the door and the man asks if he can get a food voucher and if today was the right day. He follows behind me not leaving me much space to open the gate, I get a little antsy and I ask him to move back a little. He comes in. I ask him if he has his ID. He asks if he should sign in on the form that is on the clipboard on Adelina's reception desk. I say no because that was the "KFC chicken distribution" sign in. (I;ll explain that one later). He fills out the voucher form and I xerox his ID and make a copy of the form. I tell him we distribute chicken on Tuesdays and that it has always been on the same day. Why I said that I don't know! He thanks me and was on his way. I told him to have a safe day and to try and stay dry.

It was too late to call Don Alex to open up today so that I can make my meeting at UPenn on time.
I will have to be a half hour late waiting for Don Francisco to come in at 9 so Adelina doesn't have to be alone in the office. I still feel bad for having to cut Don Alex's hours. I was trying to figure out if I should increase his time adding on one more day...but I have to wait to see if our cashflow can get a little more stable.

Its 9:03am-gotta go! UPenn wants to know how they can support the Latino community and I am going to tell them, even though I will be late!


No comments:

Post a Comment