Tuesday, June 9, 2009



23 hours before the opening of the film!
So much to do and I am secure in the fact
that it won't all get down. Need to whittle
down my task list for tomorrow. Struggling
and worried about 2008 Youth attendance.
It is Tuesday and it feels like the end of
the end of the week. Not good. I am incensed
with the possibility of great embarrassment
should not one youth show up for the premiere
of the film they worked on. Trying so hard not
to micro-manage our Youth Coordinator and
expressing the sense of urgency.
I don't know how many folks will show up.
the Principal of the school where it will play
is not expecting many. She bases this expectation
on the meeting we had in 2007. It doesn't matter
the successes you have experienced. What matters
is the last moment, the last event, that any one
of us has experienced. Or what has been publicised.
It is a very strange juggling act; supervision,
fundraising, haphazard (word of the week)
staff development and supporting new Board...and
parenting.
I am preparing myself to break the
news to Damani that he did not get the extra part
for the 'Last Airbender" movie. His first audition
and callback and it all came down to the
costume fitting! Ugg:-(
The "business' as they say stinks when you are
rejected. And it is all about how you look,
and if you fit the type. That is why I ended up
writing and producing my own work!
I was always my type. No matter what I wrote
to perform. And I performed a lot, especially
early on. I was Miss North Philly PR winning the
Miss America contest, I was a virgin wife, I was
a lookout for hubcap thieves, I was a ballet dancer.
And now I am...an Executive Director, a Galla, a
NELI Fellow who hasn't done her homework!
These things aren't permanent. I am a mother, forever.
My most cherished, fulfilling, heartbreaking job.
See you at the Premiere!


No comments:

Post a Comment